Veggie Spag Bol
Here's my quick take on Spag bol perfect for Meatfree Mondays and a great veggie/vegan dish to try!
Veggie Spag Bol
What I love about this dish is the fact that lentils work really well as a mince substitute, similar in size and shape, cheaper as well as being environmentally friendly.
I'm going to start making more of an effort to use them in my dishes I will be trying them out soon in stews and other meat dishes so will keep you posted on these.
But more importantly the benefits are never ending. They are a great source of lean protein, soluble fibre, high in iron, and zero cholesterol the list goes on.
2 x carrots
2 x celery sticks
4-5 x mini courgettes
1 x red onion
1 x white onion (no biggy if you use two the same)
2 x garlic cloves (crushed with press)
1 x tsp salt and pepper
1 x tsp smoked paprika
1 x tbsp tomato purée
2 x 400g can of crushed tomatoes (sometimes use passata, instead up to you)
1 x Pack of Merchant Gourmet pack of ready to eat Puy Lentils (you can start from scratch but this saves you a lot of time)
x your choose of spaghetti or pasta I try and use wholewheat pasta
1. Chop small your carrots, onions, celery and courgettes and pop in a pan on a light heat for 8-10 mins, I always spray rape seed oil in and stir the veg but you can sunflower or Virgin, whatever your preference.
2. Add in your garlic once the veg has softened around 5-8 mins in (you don't ever want to burn your garlic).
3. Turn up the heat and brown off. I usually add my paprika now too. Add your tomato puree and crushed tomatoes, (I usually add a dribble of water in the cans give them a swish and add to the pan), check if you need a little seasoning bring all this to the boil. Then cover and put on a simmer for 15 mins.
5. Now take the lid of and add in your lentils to warm through, you will only need to leave it on for another 5-10 mins. If your sauce is watery leave the lid off and keep the temp medium-high. if you sauce is thickening too much turn down the heat and add a dribble of water.
6. When you have added your lentils, get your pasta on too so that the two are ready at the same time.